Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mothers

Describing your mother, who she is and what she means to you, is probably the hardest undertaking as far as writing goes. It’s hard to find words that describe selfless, laboring, unconditionally loving individuals. I’d imagine that if you did have to write about your mother it would be an incredible challenge because, well, there’s so much that mothers do. You can try to sum it up by saying that she simply “raised” you, but that doesn’t even come close to the countless tasks she had to do to achieve that.  I know I don’t give my mom nearly enough credit, and while this blog doesn’t make up for the times that I have neglected to tell her how I feel or how thankful I am for her, I would still like to dedicate this post to her. 
To start, here is just a handful of the greatest memories I have of my mother.  I hope that my thoughts help you call to mind memories about your own mother.  
Her singing.  I’ve always loved it, even though she thought we (my brother and I) hated it.
The face massages she would give me to help me fall asleep at night.
Her whistle.  She’d take her pinkie fingers and place them perfectly in her mouth and belt out the loudest, most distinct, whistle.  You could seriously hear it a mile away, and it worked like a charm when she needed to grab our attention.  My brother and I would be playing over at a neighbor’s house…she’d whistle for dinner, and we’d know to get our butts home.  Pronto.
The Special K bars she would make for every social event at school.
She hates her “baby” fat, but she doesn’t realize that it is extremely comforting to me.  As a kid I would lay on her lap while watching movies, and her breathing and the warmth of her body was very soothing to me
Her homemade birthday cakes (the yellow cat from my first grade b-day party was my favorite), and I cannot forget her pickles.  To. Die. For.
The fact that our cooler was never empty on camping trips.  She always knew what and how much food to pack whenever we would go on vacations.
Her indescribable caring personality.  She never fails to think of or put others before herself.  Never.

Mothers deserve more.  More assurance, more support, more love. Without them we would be lost.  Wandering without any idea about what life or love is about.  And to all the mothers out there, you need to know this. You may wish that you were prettier, skinnier, funnier, or tidier, but you need to be none of these things.  Because you are already undeniably perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment