Friday, October 14, 2011

Spontaneity

It’s Friday.  You ponder over the previous week.  Work, class, meetings, more work.  You get excited thinking about the nap that you were able to sneak in midweek, or the dollar you found in the pocket of your jeans while attempting to fold laundry.
We’ve all been there.
But is it really a place we want to stay?  Do we want to go through each day, each week, doing the same mundane things?  “Absolutely not” is the first thought that races through my mind.  In reality, however, that answer is, more often than not, far from the truth.  We have certain priorities in our life that keep us from encountering new experiences.  The priorities in my life right now are school and work , mainly because they are the foundations that will ultimately provide me with what I need in order to live a successful life.  Well, a successful life by society’s standards anyway.  Yes, I understand I need a job and money to survive in the US, but I don’t think accomplishing just those two things can place me in the “successful” category.  I think they make me boring.  Dull and boring!
I’ve contributed my share of everyday life/ school stories in conversations, only to be met with yawns and wandering eyes searching for a clock or a reason to leave. And hey, I still cause people to do that!  But now I understand how important spontaneity really is and how much excitement it contributes to conversations and, more importantly, all aspects of life. 
Trying new things and taking chances opens up opportunities and allows you to relate to more people, plus it gives you the chance to look at situations in a new light.  That, and people might actually listen to you when you tell them about the fantastic adventures you’ve been on. 
Go on a two day road trip somewhere random, wear an outfit that isn’t your normal style, smile at strangers and talk to them in line at the grocery store, take a class that you wouldn’t have considered in the past, or, if you’re looking to start small, simply take a different route home.  Do anything to get you out of your set routine.  I think you’ll find the newfound excitement intriguing and irresistible. J

No comments:

Post a Comment