Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Competition

Four weeks ago my roommate and I decided to take on a new challenge.  Actually, it seemed like 2 or 3 different challenges all rolled into one big, overwhelming undertaking.  An undertaking that not even I thought was accomplishable.  Figure competition. 

Now stop.  I know what you’re thinking, because I thought the exact same thing.  First, what the hell is that, and second, why are you even considering prancing around on a stage near-naked pretending to model?

A few months ago I would have rolled my eyes at the thought of it.  After some research on the subject, I began to realize all that is involved in the process of competing.  On the surface it appears that the contestants pose and model their physique on a stage, yet there is much more to it than that.  12-20 weeks of constant weight training, cardio, and clean eating is what the program is comprised of.  (In a nutshell, clean eating is consuming mainly vegetables, fruits, low fat dairy, and lean meat.  No processed or packaged food, and no added sugars).  But the bigger, deeper concepts encompass that of self-discipline, confidence, high self-esteem, and commitment.  You can’t do this for anyone else but yourself.  This I have come to realize.  You may not always be around people, and there are always ample opportunities to “sneak” sugary foods or skip a workout.  If you are not personally committed or internally motivated, then you will assuredly fall off the bandwagon.  

These are the reasons I am so enthralled with figure competition.  You control what happens.  What you eat, when and how you workout.  You ultimately control your health, your physique, and how you feel.  The competition itself may take a measly 30 minutes, but the preparation takes weeks and is ongoing 24/7 up until the moment you step on the stage. 

Some may view figure competition as I had in the past.  They may think the contestants vain, selfish, even foolish and insane.  But I challenge you to look at it in a different light and with a different mindset, because beneath all that muscle lies qualities that not everyone is able to acquire.

 This challenge is one of the toughest I have ever committed to.  But I am ready.  I am ready to challenge myself physically and mentally.  And why, might you ask?  Well, because I CAN, and I am capable. 

And so are you. 

(More to come on my progress, along with tips on clean eating and the struggles that come with it).

2 comments:

  1. I get it! These are a lot of the same reason that I train and run like I do. (Without the swim suit...I give you major props for that!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah! You're great :) It is so important to believe in and take care of yourself. I think this hit home for me when my sister got sick. We are healthy damn it so run because you can.

    ReplyDelete