Saturday, July 28, 2012

Can I Get Your Autograph?

I’ve never been one of those girls who attends concerts on a regular basis.  One concert every year or two has been my norm.  This summer, however, has been the exception.    

Artists amaze me.  All artists.  Painters, photographers, designers.  There’s just something about singers and musicians, though, that leaves me in a state of awe.  Maybe it’s the fact that part of their talent is an innate ability they were born with.  That they sound like heaven, roasted duck, and all things wonderful wrapped together yet have had little or no formal training.  All I know is I was not blessed with such talent, so I appreciate it in others. 

The cool thing is these artists are just like you and me.  Yes, they may be famous now, but they grew up running around in mismatched outfits like you and me.  They ate the nasty chicken nuggets at school, just like us.  They’ve had similar doubts, problems, heartaches.   Which is why I don’t understand people that fret over getting their autograph. 

I just want to start off by saying that I don’t dislike people who stand in line to get someone’s autograph.  I just simply don’t understand it entirely. 

 An autograph is often used as proof that you have, in fact, “met” this famous person.   When I meet someone new I try to get to know a bit about them.  Ask them a few questions, answer theirs.  Then, if I were to see that person again someday, I’d at least have some recollection of having met them.  And I would guess they’d recognize me as well.    

I don’t feel that standing in line and answering the one question an award winning singer might ask (How do you spell your name?) is “meeting” someone.  I know they would never recognize me again, and having their autograph isn’t going to change how great their music already is.  I still got to see them in concert, and if someone doesn’t believe that I got to witness their breathtaking performance because I have no autograph to shove in their face, then I say let it be.  Let it be, and know that while their criticisms and verbal attacks are approaches they use to feel better about their life, you were actually out living yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment