Thursday, October 6, 2011

Science Labs

I realized something about myself today.  Actually, I’ve always known it, but for some reason today it became so clear.  I hate science labs.  I hate them.  Biology 103, Biology 207, Biology 940333, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Microbiology.  All of them. Dislike.  
Aside from Anatomy and Physiology, I don’t see a reason or need for those labs. In anatomy you learn the basic functions of the body and how the organs work together.  I remember our cadaver and animal labs where my professor showed us various organs.  Some were healthy, others were not.  He would say, “This is the liver.  It filters your wastes and aids in metabolism.  Treat it well, otherwise it will turn into this.”  At that point he held up a blackish, shriveled up looking wad.  I don’t know about you, but I think that learning how to preserve your organs is pretty useful information.  
Now microbiology I don’t understand.  What I’m supposed to learn from taking random nasty microbes, spreading them all over an agar petri dish, and watching them grow is beyond me.  I don’t care about how many colonies develop or if the bacteria are round or cocci-shaped.  I. Don’t. Care.
I’m terrible.  I know I should be interested in this stuff.  But I’m never, on my spare time, going to grab 6 petri dishes (I don’t even know where you would BUY petri dishes…don’t think any Walmart or Target carries them) and spread bacteria all over them to see what happens. Ok, I probably won’t go out looking for a bunch of livers to observe either, but I would MUCH rather study organs than various forms of yeast.  
I should really try and change my attitude regarding my hate for science labs.  My group members, along with my professor, are starting to catch on that I’d rather be stuck in an elevator with Richard Simmons than be in lab.  Maybe if I start paying attention I’ll actually gain some insight as to why the class is important and how it will be useful to me in the future.  

... but I’m not holding my breath.  

No comments:

Post a Comment