Thursday, November 3, 2011

Cell Phones

In my opinion, telephones were probably the best invention ever.  Ok, well maybe next to the MRI and prosthetic heart valves.  But really, think about it.  There are 7 billion (yes, the stats just changed on Nov. 1) people in the world and you are looking to chat with just one specific person out of those 7 billion.  All you have to do is dial a series of 10 numbers and the next 25 minutes are history.  How is it, through these little devices that we call cell phones, are we able to hear that special someone’s voice with just the touch of a few buttons?  It’s rather unbelievable when you take the time to think about it, and the concept is taken for granted more often than not.
This notion may sound strange coming from someone who used to despise any type of technology (Hard to believe, but it’s true).  Hear me out, though.  I really do feel that cell phones and modern technology are beneficial.   It irks me, however, when they are being used inappropriately.  For example, I do not think it is crucial for a 16 year old, more or less a 35 year old, to be checking their text messages every 8 seconds.  And I find it hard to believe that sending someone a grammatically incorrect sentence is more engaging than talking with them face to face. 
I’m not going to lie, I do my fair share of texting.  But please be aware of the marvelous concept of conversation.  Whether it be face to face or over the phone, do not forget the importance of talking with people. 
If you do find yourself texting, at least amuse your old English professor and abide by these simple rules. 
1)      You’re= you are
Your = your
Ur= not a word

2)      sentence structure is important if u cut out grammar altogether u risk sounding like a 5 yr old that rambles on about dinosaurs and legos and has tantrums in the grocery store because they cannot verbalize what they want or how they feel who wants to be viewed as a child yeah not me
Let me rephrase.  Commas and periods are a must if you want your reader to understand what you are talking about.  Use them.

3)      Capitalize proper nouns and the first letter of each sentence.  We’re talking about basic English here. 

I’m sure many of you are feeling quite offended and are beyond mad at me by this point.  I apologize for all of my sarcasm.  But I strongly believe that if we carry out our proper English writing even if it has to be through text, we won’t lose this vital skill that provides us with the opportunity to advance and progress personally, in our careers, and in society.
L8r  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment