Sunday, November 6, 2011

Maturity Mountain

Take a gander at this illustration... 






So, which one were you?  Come on, I know you thought about it.  You started reading the descriptions next to each goat saying to yourself, "Oh no, that's not me.  Not that one either. But this one, well maybe a little.  I'm more like this one, though.  I'm both of these actually.  Can I be more than one?"

They say that the grass is always greener on the other side of the mountain. I don't think that to be entirely factual, but I can definitely see some truth to it.  I came across this illustration randomly on stumbleupon and thought it was a decent illustration of this overused statement (aside from the fact that the picture shows the greener pasture on the SAME side of the mountain). It's a neat parallel to the personalities that many people possess.  Hard to admit, but I'm pretty sure I've been each of these goats at least once in my life. I usually consider myself to be a mature person, but there are times when I find myself sticking up my nose declaring that "I am right and they are wrong". 

Nobody is perfect, and there have been days where everyone has acted like the "I see no flaws" pinkish looking goat, even if they don't care to admit it.  I'd like to think that I, and everyone, strive to act like the green, ill-looking good goats on most days, or at least the goats climbing the mountain attempting to make it to that wonderful acre of mountainous terrain. Unfortunately, I know far too many people who take pleasure lounging around in La-Z-Boy chairs claiming that they are entitled and that wisdom inevidably comes with age. Those, along with the individuals whose only hobbies revolve around social status, clothes, and looks, would be enough to make a person want to throw themselves off of the mountain altogether.  But what's the point of being those unfriendly, Pepto Bismol goats?  Some people might be drawn to their unpleasantness at first because it is slightly amusing.  Eventually, though, they will realize how miserable they feel when they are around them.
I don't like comparing myself, nor would I ever tell you to compare yourself, to that of a goat. But let's amuse ourselves. If I had to choose just 1 goat that I'd aim to be like one day, I'd choose any of the goats that have made it over to the greener grass.  They all look much happier to me.  

Which one would you pick?

No comments:

Post a Comment