Monday, November 28, 2011

Independence....not?

Independence.  The mere thought of it fuels my excitement and makes me feel unstoppable.  You get to choose what you do, where you go, and who you surround yourself with.  You become the author of your life’s book.  Anything seems possible.  That is, when you are actually out living on your own.
It’s funny how we thirst for independence when we are in high school.  The absolute last thing we want is for our parents telling us that we can’t stay out with our friends past 10:30 on a Thursday night.  I’d always hated it; said that my parents weren’t allowing me to express or practice my independence. 
This past holiday was a blast into the past for me.  Going home, I didn’t necessarily lose my independence in its entirety, but I definitely felt like pieces of it were taken from me.  Looking back, though, it was not taken from me in a negative way.  It was, more or less, awakening.  I’d forgotten how good it feels to be worried about.  To have someone that loves me enough and cares enough about my health to tell me to go to bed at a decent hour, or to drink all my milk at the dinner table.  I feel blessed that I have such a wonderful family that will not abandon me and are genuinely concerned about my future.  Not everyone is blessed with this fortune.
I challenge you to look back at the times when your parents or caregivers disciplined you or restricted you from doing certain things.  As hard as that might be, know that they were doing it with your best interests in mind and that they raised you to the best of their ability.  

1 comment:

  1. Love this post!!! I always crave some of that 'lost' independence a little bit when I go home. BUT, on days like today, when I don't feel well and I'm totally by myself, I'd give that independence back to have someone come and check on me, and make sure that I'm OK.

    ReplyDelete