Saturday, November 26, 2011

Weird Things That People Do

Sometimes I don’t understand what goes through another’s mind.  Here are a couple of weird things that bug me….

Situation: Someone sitting quietly at their computer suddenly giggles or bursts out in laughter.  They sit there, peering out of the corner of their eye, waiting for you to ask them what is so funny.  For the next minute, “hee hee’s”, “Mhmm’s”, and a slow back and forth shaking of the head occur.
Response:  I am NOT going to ask you what’s so funny.  If you think it’s that funny and worthy of other people hearing about it, then just tell me straight up!  If you think it’s hilarious, great!  Stop searching for an approval that establishes what you saw was in fact funny. 

Situation:  A new acquaintance talking in a higher-pitched, yet softer voice….completely opposite of their “normal” tone.
 Response:  Why are you talking like a baby?  It makes you sound unintelligent and needy.  Speak with confidence.  It will take you far.

Situation:  Waiting for class to start, you chat with your neighbor to your right.  You ask, “How was your weekend?” They respond with, “It was great.  I went to the cities and ate at this fantastic restaurant! I got the…” Then, out of nowhere, the person on your left blurts, “I had this amazing steak at the new restaurant in town.  It was the best I’ve ever had!” 
Response:  1) I don’t care what you ate and 2) I WASN’T ASKING YOU!  I wasn’t even LOOKING at you!  Don’t jump into a conversation that you are not a part of.  Practice humility and respond only when asked.  People notice and want to spend more time with those that are not so self-centered and with those that are genuinely interested in people other than themselves. 

Situation:  People reporting on their facebook status that they are about to take a nap, eat dinner, or go to bed.
Response:  It’s great that you are doing all of these things, but nobody cares.  They do the same things in their daily lives, too.  Facebook statuses should be for more significant events, like “It’s a girl!”  or “Shit, I broke my leg today.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment