Sunday, December 25, 2011

Endings and Beginnings

With the end of the 2011 year less than a week away, I thought it would be apropos to discuss the concept of endings and new beginnings.  Cheesy as it may sound, I have no doubt that this concept runs through your mind at least once this time of year.  

Whether it be pondering the past years’ events or contemplating New Year’s resolutions, I think it’s important to think about these things.  Sitting down and reflecting on all that has happened in the past 12 months (the good, the bad, and the ugly), allows you to recognize and learn more about your person.  How did you handle situations?  How did others perceive you?  Did you grow and become stronger as an individual, or did your experiences set you back in some way or another?  

Even if you did not have the greatest 2011, taking the time to mull over past events is, in my opinion, a way to end the year on a positive note.  Contemplating the good and bad may bring about feelings of solace and a peace of mind that will hopefully allow you to start off fresh in 2012.  

And with the New Year comes all of those great resolutions we talk about and try to stick to until….oh, maybe mid-February.  I just wish some of our resolutions were made with deeper intentions.  I’ve totally made the typical “I want to lose 5 pounds, run a 10k, and adopt a vegetarian diet” type of resolution, so I can’t really talk.  But I think, for me anyway, this year it would be a nice change to come up with a resolution that would positively affect others and make me a better person at the end of the day.  

Maybe I should challenge myself to give at least one person a compliment every day, or call more family and friends that I haven’t talked to in awhile.  In any case, I hope that whatever resolution YOU decide to make allows you to gain perspective and grow as an individual.  After all, isn’t that what this journey we call life is all about?

No comments:

Post a Comment