Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Holiday Moments

About a week ago I was sitting at the kitchen table looking out at my residents sitting comfortably in the nearby living room.  That evening was really no different than any other, except for the addition of Christmas music and snow falling gently outside (along with the absence of Wheel of Fortune).
I don’t know what it was about that night, but as we all listened to Amy Grant’s “Grown Up Christmas List”, I remember feeling so calm and content.  That feeling hits me once in a blue moon, but for a few minutes I was able to really cherish the moment.  It makes me sound cheesy and sentimental, but for the entirety of that song I actually worried about nothing.  Internships, relationships, Christmas shopping and the plethora of other things that had been on my mind seemed to vanish.

Maybe it was the lyrics in the song that helped me realize my problems were miniscule; that there are millions of people out there suffering through unthinkable misfortunes and would give anything to be in my shoes.

Or, maybe it was the thought of how far I’ve come in just the past few years.  The people I’ve met and the experiences I’ve gained. Six months ago I would have never thought that 14 elderly residents could have impacted me the way that they have.  I look at situations, aging, and relationships in a new light because of the stories they have shared. Working and living there has changed my outlook on life so much that my gratitude carries over to the relationships I have with my family, coworkers, and friends.  And to think, all of those feelings hit me during that one song.  Crazy how music does that to us.

I wish I could have hung to that feeling for longer than 3 minutes that night.  

But I’ll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment