Monday, December 12, 2011

The Ideal Work Place

I want to jump right in and try to explain a thought process I had earlier today. 

Let me provide you with some background first.  I attend classes and work in facilities with a variety of people.  Some are engaged in their activities, others are not.  I’ve become really good at, after 5 ½ years of college, picking out those who are dedicated to their job or task at hand and those who give a rats’ ass.  I’m sure you could, too.

But I don’t get it.  I don’t understand why people choose to come to college to earn a degree when they really don’t care about what or how much they learn. They don’t care about what kind of impact they’ll have on society or who they’ll eventually affect.  But now the reason people say they have to go to college is because of money and our current economy.  I know that one must have a college degree in order to find a decent paying job that will provide them with a means of living a comfortable life.  But at the same time I think that by “forcing” everyone go to college we are dumbing down and lowering our standards for people.  It used to be so hard to get into a college, and now it’s almost a given.  This is very apparent when working on group projects or conversing with people.   I often think to myself, “HOW did you get into this university?  Do you really care about anything other than yourself?”

So here is my thought process.

There’s this “ideal” world, and in that ideal world there would be a special holiday.  “Sorting Day,” I like to call it. During this once-a-year occasion people would be separated into two different categories.  The “I-am-trying-to-make-a-difference-and-care-about-the-interests-of-mankind” group would be for people who strive to do just that, and the “I-am-narcissistic-and-only-want-what’s-best-for-me-and-will-work-only-as-hard-as-I-have-to-so-I-can-buy-an-Ipad-4-for-myself” group for people who are vain and conceited.  The latter group would be taken and placed in a special area away from other members of society, free to do whatever they wish in their own little space.  The “trying to change the world” group would then continue to go about their way of life.  Boom.  Problems associated with egotism gone. 

Ok, so I know that is obviously a bit harsh and insensitive of me.  I just feel that if people devoted as much time to helping others as they do to themselves, than our world would be in a much better place.  The time we spend in college, training sessions, or anything else career related may not always be entertaining, fun, or even interesting.   But the things you learn will be useful in some way in your future, even if it doesn’t seem like it at the time. 

Be thankful that you have a job.  Go to school/ work every day as if your life depended on it (…wait, kind of does!).   Try your hardest.  Strive to do more.  Never stop learning.  Help make others’ jobs easier.  And don’t forget to smile.

5 comments:

  1. http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederickallen/2011/11/18/new-study-egomaniacs-make-the-best-leaders/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article is stupid! Obviously there's a personality type that incorporates a lot of CEO's...but there's also a work ethic and determination that likely got them to where they are. I'm not saying all CEO's are saints. (Quite the opposite in fact...I think the fact that so many greedy/narcissistic people run corporations is part of the reason we have the economic issues we do, which would actually support Sarah's argument!) But having watched the incredible stress and workload my uncle/godfather (the CEO of a major corporation in Milwaukee) deals with on a daily basis, I think he has better things to do then look for photo opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kate -- You seem a little confused about egotistic and narcissistic connotations. One can throw their life into their work and be completely unconcerned with having their photo taken and still be narcissistic. You may well even have a friend who is narcissistic and not realize it because they do not project the most commonly associated attribute of narcissism. Read into the topic, it can prove rather eye opening.

      Delete
  3. @Anonymous - I'm not sure I'm confused about the connotation of the words. it was the study that you posted that suggested narcissism could be (and was, for purposes of the story) measured by photo and name appearances. Theoretically, one could throw their life into their work and not care about having a picture taken...but how does the study presented in the article measure that?

    Regardless of the 'connotation' of narcissism, when I "read into the topic," I found that narcissism is typically categorized as the most infantile stage of personality development. Consequently, I think that was what Sarah was commenting on...the need for people to grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's an interesting article about "growing up" or premature pragmatism, why not sift through it; you may discover something interesting.
    http://andreshandouts.blogspot.com/2010/01/premature-prafmatism-barbara-ehrenreich.html

    I do undestand the emphasis falls upon those who appear to have no concern with their education or other such matters. However, they cpuld be plagued one or more of numerous problems themselves. These range from physical or mental illness to personal home or peer issues. Some of them may even be suffering from a form of depression, be it overt or covert. Simply complaining about them or stating they should "grow up" shows a lack of understanding or concern to try to.
    But do read the above article, it really is ineresting.

    ReplyDelete