Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Woman Behind the Lemon Drop Cocktail

I hope everyone had a joyous fourth of July.  While the 4th is far from my favorite holiday, I was definitely entertained. 

Before I jump in, I have to preface.  My Godmother is the most respected and remarkable woman I know, and she amazes me more and more every time I see her.   She’s one of those women little girls cherish and look up to.  When you think back to your childhood, your most vivid memories are of her.  Strong-willed, animated, independent, opinionated (but in the most valued and appreciated way), and anything but boring.  I’ve always thought this of my Godmother. 

It isn’t until your 20’s that you start seeing your family members in a different light.  I knew LeaAnn enjoyed unappealing, involuntary face deforming drinks (she’d let me taste sips of her Manhattans and Old Fashions when I was little), but I didn’t know at that time that she is the most knowledgeable bartender out there!  No, she’s not an actual bartender and can’t throw bottles through the air before pouring two drinks at once, but I’m guessing it’s because she can’t stand the idiots that down liquor for the sole purpose of getting drunk.  That, and bartenders’ sloppiness.  Never would she EVER waste good liqueur.  (In fact, my family gasps when someone spills their drink not because it gets all over the expensive laptop, but because it’s a waste of good alcohol).

Anyway, she’s done her homework.  You can put various alcohols in front of her and she will whip you up the most fantastic concoction you will ever drink. 

Like her Lemon Drop Cocktail. 

I loved it so much that I had to watch/ help her make her second batch. My mom loved it, too.  My little 9 year old cousin got her to jump on the large trampoline with him.  I could never get her to do that!  I was so shocked and astonished, I took the opportunity and joined them.  

I learned a few things about myself that day.  I don’t know all there is to know about each of my family members, and I want to continue talking with and learning about their personalities.  That, and I pee a little when I jump on large tramplines.  The alcohol, my unstoppable laughing.  Probably a combination of the two.  Whatever.  I’m not about to hide it. 

I hope you are given a chance to share a drink and a good convo with your family members.  Seek it out if you have to.  But really, if you get the opportunity, take it. 



LeaAnn’s Lemon Drop Cocktail
-Rim a large glass using a lemon wedge and raw sugar.  Fill with ice.
- Add:
 2 oz. limoncello
1 ½ oz. Absolut Citron Vodka
2 oz. Cointreau
2 oz. Sweet n Sour
-Garnish with a slice of lemon

No comments:

Post a Comment