Friday, June 22, 2012

The Pap


I am a big supporter of checkups, physicals, self-breast exams- the whole gamut.  They’re important.  The MD’s are doing their part to keep us healthy, and our stats help us stay accountable year after year.  But just because I support them, doesn’t mean I have to like them. 

I’ll do shots (I’m talking about the ones in the arm, not the ones at the bar.  Though I’ll do those, too).  Giving blood?  Piece of cake.  But there is one exam that I absolutely despise.  Ladies, you all know the one. 

…the Pap Smear (Dun dun dunn)! 

Seriously, though.  I really hate them.  Not because of the obvious embarrassment that comes with a random doctors face in your crotch, but because IT’S OUTRIGHT PAINFUL!  I don’t care who you talk to, no one can honestly tell me that that exam is nothing to worry about.  The exam where the doctor uses a speculum that looks like it belongs in a garage.  Don’t wave your hand at me and say, “Oh. It’s no big deal”.  I beg to differ.

It’s so bad I think we need to start warning the girls in middle school so they have ample time to prepare for the whole ordeal.  We spend years talking about and preparing them for menstrual periods, and those involve little to no pain.  Pap Smears- that’s what we really should be teaching them about. 

My doctor today was great, really.  She was easy to talk to, respectful, and had quite a few years under her belt .  I thought to myself, “Ok, she’s done this thousands of times.  Maybe she’ll be better than my last doctor”. 

NOPE!

I bled for 3 hours after my appointment.  Pretty sure that’s not supposed to happen.  I’m scarred now.  Literally and figuratively. 

But, like everything else that’s good for you, you bite the bullet and deal.  Nothing is as painful as finding out you have cancer or some other incurable disease once it’s too late. 

So, everyone, after hearing a story that made you want to reconsider Reiki, I encourage you to schedule your overdue appointment today.  They suck, but they’re still good for you J

No comments:

Post a Comment