Saturday, November 19, 2011

Compliments

I really, really love my job.  While there have been times that I have complained about it, I wouldn’t trade working in food service for any other on-campus job.  Yes, it can be a bit messy at times, but you have the opportunity to meet so many different people.  And it’s the people that make up for all the crazy shenanigans. 
Like today, for instance.  I was going about my usual business, preparing and serving coffee and other unhealthy prepackaged foods, when this man comes up to the counter for a cup of coffee.  We do the typical chit chat and get into a great conversation about coffee prices. Not a conversation I would have ever deemed exciting, but it turned out to be quite interesting.  As he turns to leave he says, “You know, you have a friendly personality and provide great customer service.  Thanks”.  Well, YOU ARE WELCOME, KIND SIR!  I honestly didn’t think that phrase would have such a great impact on me.  But it did!  It made me feel appreciated, and that my services were actually valued by someone.  My mood was completely altered, and I was extremely happy for the rest of the day. 
It made me think about the compliments that I neglect to give people. A little phrase or statement can really go a long way.  I always used to be the shy girl, and telling strangers that their shoes/jacket/earrings were fantastic would have been the last thing you’d hear coming from my mouth.  But think about how you’d feel if someone randomly complimented you.  I’d hope that you would feel better about yourself, or that your efforts were actually noticed by another individual. 
I think that if you are able to make another person’s day then you should take that opportunity, even if you think that such a small compliment will have no effect on them.  Believe me, it does.  They may not express it, but it will hit home.  So go ahead, tell the person with the beautiful necklace that the colors are fantastic and that it matches their outfit.  Or that you love their new shirt because it looks great on them.
Then sit back and wait.  Wait for the smile to appear on their face, and on yours.   

No comments:

Post a Comment