Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Pizza a Vegetable?

Yes, I was shocked at the title when I read it myself.  But it’s true.  I’ve been reading article upon article about this news.  According to the USDA, a slice of pizza is considered to be one vegetable serving if it has at least 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce on it. 
Come on!  Really!?  Of all organizations, I would have thought that the USDA would have more sense than this.  Just because schools are having a hard time sneaking in vegetables doesn’t mean that the Department of Agriculture can go and change the requirements to make it easier for all parties involved.  Believe me, I know how hard it is for schools, especially school dietitians, to create meals that 1) include all food groups 2) contain 5 food choices that meet the caloric requirements for each age group 3) meet the budget and 4) kids will actually eat.  But I refuse to believe and accept that a little smear of processed sauce will meet the nutrient needs of GROWING KIDS.   Tell me what is more important here.  The amount of money that is being saved on cheaper, filler ingredients or the living, breathing children that will need to be in their healthiest state in order to run our ever corrupt and distressed country?     

1 comment: