Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Things Sought, Things Accomplished, Things Learned

It’s official.  I am DONE with the figure competition! 

It’s been a few days since I stepped on stage and I can happily say that I am fully hydrated, fed, and bloated (ok, so I’m not so happy about the bloated part).  But I’ll take it because the pizza, chocolate, and ice cream that I indulged in were well worth it.  

Since I’ve been in a constant sugar coma these past three days, I’ve had a lot of time to think about the whole ordeal.  The amount of knowledge I’ve gained these past 11 weeks has been incalculable. I give those that compete in figure competitions a lot of credit.  It’s not an easy process.  However, it’s not an entirely safe process either. 

Entering a figure competition once is a great experience, as a person has the opportunity to learn more about their physical and mental abilities.  For instance, you learn that your body can function (sometimes even better) without certain foods.  Your cravings are simply that.  Cravings.  You don’t NEED that daily Mountain Dew or Skittles kick to make it to your 3 pm meeting.  Learning and adopting a “clean” diet has immense benefits. 

At the same time, adopting a “figure competition” diet is another story.  While eliminating fruits and dairy helps you appear contest ready, it is something I would NEVER recommend long term.  For multiple reasons.  Your organ function will start to decline, especially your brain and kidneys from the excess protein and low carb intake.  Your social life is put on hold, or suffers completely, because you can eat next to nothing if going out to dinner or for drinks.  You adopt the mindset that certain foods are “good” while others are “bad”, which is far from true (everything in moderation)!  And lastly, you get sucked into such a routine that life doesn’t become fun anymore.  You get up, go to work, eat the same thing for every meal, go to the gym, and sleep.   I don’t know about you, but I feel that life just isn’t worth living if you can’t be spontaneous, jump in the car, and drive 45 minutes to order an iced caramel latte and a Butterfinger blizzard with your best friend every once in awhile.  Yes, both the latte and the blizzard.  At the same time.  J

With that, I encourage you to try the things that might seem impossible to you.  Prove to yourself that you are capable and stronger than you might appear to be.  Learn about yourself.  Do so carefully and intelligently, and with your best interest in mind. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post 100 million percent! I've never done a competition but always am curious about them. I've attended a few and thought that there's no way that's healthy long-term. Like you said try new things. Try everything once but make your own judgement. I LOVE this post! :)

    ReplyDelete